Monday, August 15, 2011

Organic Backyard Garden 2011: Week 12

Tripod/Richard Nixon Rosita Eggplant









So much food... I'm beginning to experience the problem that many have warned me about. Namely, HOW CAN I USE ALL OF THIS? My philosophy on this is as follows: Use what I can, when I can. If I can't use it immediately, store for no more than 3-4 days, by which point I will have either thought of a meal to incorporate it with, OR find a new home for it (my dad, my coworkers, my mother's coworkers, etc...). If this does not succeed, there is always the Sacramento Food Bank, where I dropped off a large paper bag full of assorted veggies which I surely wasn't going to be able to eat before they went bad. And hey, at least someone in need will be eating them! And, most importantly, (I assume) they will not go to waste (ie- in the trash).

If all of this fails, and I forget or neglect some produce which then begins to turn, I have been chopping every bit of it up for either composting or worm bin food- both of which will eventually return to my soil.








Sunflowers


Rosita Eggplant






New plants... autumn sage!!









No comments: